Thursday, May 7, 2020

General Update

Hey all. I haven't forgotten about you, I've just been busy trying to sort out my unemployment situation and get my much-needed stimulus check. It's been an uphill battle, as I'm sure a lot of you know, involving a lot of phone calls, bank visits- I had to transfer to another bank, on account of my relocation, and that was its own personal hell- and, of course, I've had to fill out a bunch of crap online, including filing my taxes and applying for unemployment and so forth. 😭

I did get a letter, just now, before I wrote this, informing me that I was approved for a stimulus check, which is obviously good news, but now I'm having trouble getting my new online banking account to work, which means I'm going to have to spend all day tomorrow on the phone and/or going down to the bank to sort it out. My savings are basically gone, so I really need that money, mostly so I can help out my mom, who's been providing me with food and shelter in the interim. 

The food thing's no problem, but I'm sure she could use a little more cash for just basic stuff, like help with the power, sewer, fire, cable and computer bills. She's basically retired, so she's been living off of her social security, which is fine for one person, but a little trickier for two- just my being here means that some of those bills go up, particularly power and water. But I'd also like to get faster computer speed- hers sucks- and maybe up the cable a notch. 

My roommate had basic cable that I assumed was the lowest one could get, just to have access to local channels and stuff like FX and Comedy Central and so forth, but apparently there's an even lower tier than that and my mom has it. So, I'd like to up the ante, not just for me, but my mom, too, so she has access to the cable news channels like MSNBC and CNN and so on. I know she'd watch that stuff all day if she could and probably will once I get it for her. It's the least I can do. 

That money, I think, would go a long way towards helping her out, and putting her more at ease, financially. Of course, it wouldn't change certain things for me- my TV and DVR are still busted, and even with that check, I doubt I'd be able to rectify that- we've got bigger fish to fry, as it were- so my only way to watch stuff is downstairs is when she's not there (unless I watch what she's watching, of course, but we have VERY different tastes), and, of course, online, which I can do upstairs. 

It is what it is, but at least I had a place to go in the first place, which is more than some people can say. So, admittedly minor complaints, in the grand scheme of things. I'll take a roof over my head and food in my belly over all those other things any day. But you know, creature comforts and all. You get it. I'll try to get back to normal asap, but you know, things are sort of out of my control at the moment. 

That said, I am laying the groundwork for my "Favorite Things" series of articles, compiling lists and the like, while continuing to get settled at my mom's. My room is looking more like my room, and I have easy access to most of my DVDs and Blu-Rays, so it should be no problem moving forward reviewing older movies. I also have access to most- if not all- of my music via my hard drive, and what I can't get there, I can almost certainly get online, even if it ends up being via streaming. 

Books are a slightly different story, but it's not as if I were going to be able to re-read a bunch of stuff before making lists about it, so I was going to have to lean hard on the internet to refresh my memory on all of that, anyway. But I think I'm good to go, regardless, no matter what area I choose to focus on first, including books- my favorite books are already pretty set in stone at this point, barring any unforeseen new reads over the next few months really grabbing my attention. 

Finally, I'll get started on what I'm calling "The Cronenberg Chronicles" after all of that is done, minus the "Favorite Things" articles series, which will be ongoing throughout the spring and summer. Ditto my next set of franchise reviews. I might just alternate between all of those things until they're done, with the occasional new article in between. Look for about one each of those per week, more or less. 

I think that about covers everything. Hang in there- I know I am- and hopefully, we'll get back to normal soon. Sorry again for all the delays, but it's a crazy time, needless to say. I'll be in touch asap! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment