Friday, June 1, 2018

Happy Un-Birthday to Me! - My Favorite Actresses


A very merry un-birthday to me! Nope, it's not a review of the movie- you can find that here, if you're so inclined- but rather a celebration of the me variety. Yep, believe it or not, we've officially hit the half-year anniversary of this here blog.

As such, I thought I'd give everyone a better idea of who I am, what else I'm into, etc. (AIA to those for whom this is all common knowledge.) Here's a little background info, to that end.


I was born and raised in the South, and I'm proud of that, despite the haters we get a lot of the time for our supposed "backwards" ways. Hey, I was just born here- I don't and can't take responsibility for what other people did before I was on this here big rock in this particular neck of the woods. I can only take account of my own actions, and personally, I think I've done alright for myself. 

Sure, I could always do better- couldn't we all? But all in all, I'm not particularly embarrassed by anything I've done over the years. I've done what I can to be a good person and treat people with love and respect, even when they don't necessarily deserve it. I like to think that counts for something.      

So, what am into? Well, movies, obviously. Particularly of the horror and cult/midnight movie variety, which my regular readers are all well aware of, I'm sure. I've never done an all-time Top 10 or whatever, but maybe one day I will. We'll skip that for now, but put a bookmark on it to come back to later, maybe.

Let's instead talk about some of my other fave things, in the first on an ongoing series of posts. First up, my favorite actresses. Let's do the Hall of Famers first. These are actresses that have earned a lifetime pass in my eyes.
 


Side Note: BTW, I'm not going to get into actresses of the old-school cult variety, or we'd be here all day. Instead, I'll direct you to this for that type of list. (Be sure to click on the pics for more info!)

Keep in mind, these are just my personal favorites- I'm not necessarily claiming that they're the GOAT or anything- THAT would be a decidedly different list, and a kind of boring one, as it would feature the usual suspects, really, i.e. Julianne Moore, Kate Winslet, Jodie Foster, blah blah blah.

However, they could well be the best in time- okay, maybe only some of them, if I'm being honest. You never know. For now, they're just my faves, and I'll basically watch them in anything- save maybe musicals, as I'm not a big fan. But even in that case, there are exceptions. (*Cough- Pitch Perfect- cough*)

Anyway, these are just some of my fave actresses, plain and simple. Don't hate them because I love them. 😍 (And no, I have no idea why so many of them have names that start with "S," "A," "E" or "J" , lol. Go figure.)

Jennifer Connelly

An early crush of mine, thanks to her turn in one of my all-time faves, Labyrinth, I've always been a fan, always will be, period. She rocks, and is still breathtaking, IMHO.

Favorite Movies: Once Upon a Time in America, Phenomena (aka Creepers), Seven Minutes in Heaven, Labyrinth, Some Girls, The Hot Spot, Career Opportunities, The Rocketeer, Of Love and Shadows, Higher Learning, Mulholland Falls, Inventing the Abbotts, Dark City, Waking the Dead, Requiem for a Dream, Pollock, A Beautiful Mind, Hulk, House of Sand and Fog, Dark Water, Little Children, Blood Diamond, Reservation Road, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 9, Creation, Virginia, Noah, Shelter, American Pastoral, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Only the Brave.











Winona Ryder

Definitely one of my first big crushes, and a damned fine actress that got a bad rap for a silly mistake which unfairly stopped her career dead in its tracks for a while. Fortunately, she's since made a comeback with a great turn in the near-universally beloved Stranger Things series.

Favorite Movies: Lucas, Beetlejuice, 1969, Heathers, Great Balls of Fire, Welcome Home Roxy Carmichael, Edward Scissorhands, Mermaids, Night on Earth, Dracula, The Age of Innocence, Reality Bites, Little Women, Boys, The Crucible, Alien: Resurrection, Girl Interrupted, Lost Souls, S1m0ne, A Scanner Darkly, Sex and Death 101, The Informers, The Private Lives of Pippa Lee, Star Trek, Black Swan, Frankenweenie, Homefront, Experimenter, Show Me a Hero and, of course, Netflix's Stranger Things












Drew Barrymore

How can anyone not like Drew Barrymore? Honestly. She's a total sweetheart. Sure, her choices can sometimes leave something to be be desired, but when she knocks it out of the park, she really swings for the fences.

Favorite Movies and TV shows: Altered States, E.T. The Extraterrestrial, Firestarter, Cat's Eye, Babes in Toyland, Far from Home, Motorama, Waxwork II: Lost in Time, Poison Ivy, Sketch Artist, Gun Crazy, No Place to Hide, The Amy Fisher Story, Doppelganger, Wayne's World 2, Bad Girls, Boys on the Side, Mad Love, Scream, Wishful Thinking, The Wedding Singer, Ever After: A Cinderella Story, Home Fries, Never Been Kissed, Olive the Other Reindeer, Titan A.E., Charlie's Angels 1 & 2, Donnie Darko, Riding in Cars with Boys, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, 50 First Dates, Lucky You, Whip It, Grey Gardens, Everybody's Fine, Going the Distance, Blended and Netflix's Santa Clarita Diet.











Sarah Michelle Gellar 


She doesn't work as much anymore, alas, but she'll always have a special place in my heart, regardless, and should never be counted out of the game, given her inherent level of talent.

Fave Movies: I Know What You Did Last Summer, Scream 2, Cruel Intentions (Fun fact: tied for first as the movie I saw the most in theaters), Harvard Man, Scooby-Doo, The Grudge 1 & 2, The Return, Southland Tales, The Air I Breathe, Possession, Veronika Decides to Die.

But, of course, she'll always be Buffy to me. I had no bigger crush as a teenager, to be sure. 










Danielle Harris

I first discovered Danielle as Michael Myers' niece in the Halloween series, and I've followed her career ever since, all the way to her playing Annie in the, um, Halloween series. Talk about coming around full circle! Okay, I kid, but I admire the fact that, even after an IRL stalking, Harris has remained true to her Scream Queen roots, even going on to direct horror herself. For me, she's definitely one of the all-time greats.

Favorite Movies and TV Shows: Halloween 4 & 5, Marked for Death, Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead, City Slickers, The Last Boy Scout, Roseanne, Free Willy, Wish Upon a Star, Daylight, Urban Legend, Poor White Trash, Killer Bud, The Wild Thornberrys, Father of the Pride, Halloween I & II, Left for Dead, Prank, Blood Night: The Legend of Mary Hatchet, The Black Waters of Echo's Pond, Fear Clinic, Godkiller, Cyrus, Hatchet II & III, Stake Land, The Victim, Chromeskull: Laid to Rest II, Shiver, Among Friends (also directed), Fatal Call, Hallows' Eve, Twisted Tales, Camp Dread, Ghost of Goodnight Lane, The Town That Dreaded Sundown, See No Evil 2, Havenhurst, Victor Crowley, Inoperable.












Jennifer Love-Hewitt and Lacey Chabert


Okay, stop your snickering. Back in the day, my sister used to watch the show Party of Five with her friends while I would grumble and read a magazine or something. Slowly but surely, I got fished in, though, thanks to my big old crush on JLH and the fact that it was just plain a decent show.

I also had a fondness for Lacey, who they would always make fun of. (We're around the same age and I was definitely a geek, so I related to being picked on by the older kids.) You just wait, I thought- she's gonna be smoking hot one day. And lo and behold that day came to pass. Nothing says revenge like growing up.

Anyway, I know they've made some very iffy choices in their respective careers, but I don't care- they both get a pass, and I happen to like a lot of their stuff no matter what anyone says. Or how many Hallmark/Lifetime movies they make, lol.

JLH's Movies and TV Shows: Kids, Inc. (if you're a certain age, you know you watched it!), Munchie, Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit, House Arrest, Trojan War, I Know What You Did Last Summer/ISKWYDLS, Can't Hardly Wait, Telling You, The Suburbans, The Audrey Hepburn Story, Time of Your Life, Heartbreakers, The Tuxedo, Shortcut to Happiness, If Only, Garfield (one was enough for me, thanks- even I have my limits), A Christmas Carol, Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber, Cafe, The Truth About Love, Jewtopia and, of course, Party of Five, Ghost Whisperer, The Client List and Criminal Minds. I'll be watching her on the second season of 9-1-1, too, as I already watch it, anyway. 













Lacey's Movies and TV Shows: Lost in Space, Tart, The Wild Thornberrys, Not Another Teen Movie, Hometown Legend, The Scoundrel's Wife, Daddy Day Care, Mean Girls, Shadow of Fear, The Brooke Ellison Story, Dirty Deeds, High Hopes, A New Wave, The Pleasure Drivers, Fatwa, Black Christmas, She Said/He Said, Hello Sister Goodbye Life, What if God Were the Sun?, Sherman's Way, The Lost, Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, Elevator Girl, In My Sleep, Thirst, A Holiday Heist, Imaginary Friend, Sanitarium, Slightly Single in L.A., Off Season, Scarecrow, Non-Stop, Ghost of Goodnight Lane and a whole army of Hallmark/et al. TV-movies where than came from, and, of course, Party of Five  












Claire Danes
I was actually one of the few people that watched My So-Called Life in its short-lived, original pre-MTV run. I even have the VHS to prove it, as I taped the show. A big reason for that was, of course, Claire Danes, who, after a bit of a rough patch, R+J notwithstanding, rebounded nicely with the excellent Homeland. She's great in most everything she does nowadays. 


Favorite Movies and TV Shows: Little Women, My So-Called Life, How to Make an American Quilt, Home for the Holidays, I Love You I Love You Not, To Gillian on her 37th Birthday, Romeo + Juliet, U-Turn, The Rainmaker, Polish Wedding, The Mod Squad, Brokedown Palace, Igby Goes Down, The Hours, It's All About Love, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Stage Beauty, Shopgirl, The Family Stone, Evening, Stardust, The Flock, Me & Orson Welles, Temple Grandin, As Cool As I Am and, of course, Homeland.








Christina Ricci

Longtime fan of the Goth-tastic Ricci, who was born to be in fantasy films and fairy tales, with those expressive eyes and ethereal looks. (See also Amanda Seyfried and Emily Browning, elsewhere on this list.) She's been doing stellar work since she was a kid, and I have no reason to believe she won't continue to moving forward.

Favorite TV Shows and Movies: Mermaids, The Hard Way, The Addams Family & Addams Family Values, Casper, Now & Then, Gold Diggers: The Secret of Bear Mountain, Bastard Out of Carolina, The Last of the High Kings, Little Red Riding Hood (short film), That Darn Cat, The Ice Storm, Buffalo '66, The Opposite of Sex, Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas, Pecker, I Woke Up Early the Day I Died, Desert Blue, 200 Cigarettes, No Vacancy, Sleepy Hollow, Bless the Child, The Man Who Cried, All Over the Guy, Prozac Nation, The Laramie Project, Pumpkin, Miranda, Ally McBeal, The Gathering, Anything Else, I Love Your Work, Monster, Cursed, Penelope, Black Snake Moan, Home of the Brave, Speed Racer, New York I Love You, After.Life, Bel Ami, Pan Am, Lizzie Borden Took an Ax/ The Lizzie Borden Chronicles, Mothers & Daughters, Z: The Beginning of Everything.








Natalie Portman


Another actress I was a fan of from the jump, I first saw Natalie in The Professional, as it was then known, and I've followed her career ever since. We're around the same age, so it's been cool seeing her get more and more acclaim over the years, including an Oscar win. She's awesome.

Favorite Movies: LΓ©on The Professional, Heat, Beautiful Girls, Mars Attacks!, Star Wars I-III (not her finest hours, but I felt people would flip if I didn't include them), Anywhere But Here, Where the Heart Is, Cold Mountain, Garden State, Closer, Free Zone, V for Vendetta, Paris je t'aime, Goya's Ghosts, My Blueberry Nights, The Darjeeling Limited/ Hotel Chevalier, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, The Other Boleyn Girl, New York I Love You, The Other Woman (aka Love and Other Impossible Pursuits), Brothers, Hesher, Black Swan, No Strings Attached, Your Highness, Thor I & II, Knight of Cups, The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards, A Tale of Love and Darkness, Jane Got a Gun, Jackie, The Summoning, Song to Song, Annihilation. Bonus points for the two "Natalie's Rap" segments on SNL.











Natalie Dormer
While her resume is somewhat shorter than some on this list, I've liked her in everything I've seen her in, so she's definitely amongst my favorites. Pretty easy on the eyes, too- and watch out for that smirk... it's a killer.

Favorite TV Shows and Movies: Casanova, Flawless, City of Life, The Tudors, Captain America: The First Avenger, W.E., Poe, A Long Way from Home, Rush, The Counselor, The Riot Club, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay I & II, Elementary, The Scandalous Lady W, The Forest, Picnic at Hanging Rock, and, of course, Game of Thrones. (Haven't seen In Darkness yet and just started PAHR.)  












Scarlett Johansson

I've loved her since I first saw her, in the underrated Manny & Lo. She's just gotten better with age. Her choices may not always be on point, but they are almost always interesting. She's likely my fave actress of "my generation," or whatever.
 

Fave movies: Just Cause, Manny & Lo, Fall, Home Alone 3, The Horse Whisperer, My Brother the Pig, The Man Who Wasn't There, Ghost World, An American Rhapsody, Eight-Legged Freaks, Lost in Translation, Girl with a Pearl Earring, The Perfect Score, A Love Song for Bobby Long, A Good Woman, In Good Company, Match Point, The Island, The Black Dahlia, The Prestige, The Nanny Diaries, The Other Boleyn Girl, Vicky Christina Barcelona, The Spirit, He's Just Not That Into You, We Bought a Zoo, Hitchcock,Don Jon,Under the Skin, Her,Chef, Lucy, Hail Caesar, The Jungle Book, Sing, Ghost in the Shell, Rough Night and, of course, all of her appearances as Black Widow in the Marvel movies, as well as her ace comedic turns on SNL








Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Arguably one of the most underrated actresses out there, the lovely Mary first got my attention in the admittedly ridiculous soap Passions, which I girl I used to date used to subject me to. I followed her to the only slightly better Wolf Lake, but things really took off in earnest for me when she embraced the Scream Queen thing- she's since proved she can do anything you thrown at her. I wouldn't be surprised if an Oscar is in her near future- or at least an Emmy.

Favorite TV Shows and Movies: Passions, Wolf Lake, Monster Island, The Ring 2, Checking Out, Sky High, Final Destination 3, Black Christmas, Bobby, Factory Girl, Death Proof, Live Free or Die Hard, Make it Happen, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, The Thing, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Smashed, The Beauty Inside, The Spectacular Now, A.C.O.D., A Good Day to Die Hard, Faults, Alex of Venice, Kill the Messenger, The Returned, Exposed, Swiss Army Man, The Hollars, 10 Cloverfield Lane, BrainDead, Mercy Street and TV's Fargo.










Amanda Seyfried

Man, she is gorgeous.
 And, speaking of taking risks, does she ever. Her range is pretty unstoppable. Been a fan ever since I saw her in Mean Girls and have her to thanks for watching some great shows I might not have otherwise, like Veronica Mars and Big Love

Favorite Movies and TV Shows: Mean Girls (Duh! 😘), Veronica Mars, Boogie Woogie, Jennifer's Body, Chloe, Dear John, Letters to Juliet, Red Riding Hood, Big Love, In Time, Lovelace, While We're Young, Fathers & Daughters, The Last Word, Anon







Amber Heard

Is there an actress that's taken more shit in the modern age? And yet, she always handles it with class, aplomb and understatement. Case in point: she donated her entire divorce settlement to charity. Her heart's as big as her talent, which is considerable.

Favorite Movies: Friday Night Lights, North Country, All the Boys Love Mandy Lane, Spin, Remember the Daze, Never Back Down, Pineapple Express, The Informers, The Joneses, The Stepfather, The River Why, The Ward, And Soon the Darkness, Drive Angry, The Playboy Club (TV Show), The Rum Diary, Syrup, Machete Kills, 3 Days to Kill, The Adderall Diaries, One More Time, The Danish Girl, Justice League. 









Evan Rachel Wood

Another child actress that started out good and got great in time, Wood first got my attention in earnest in TV's Once & Again, before absolutely killing it in Thirteen, which was like reliving my childhood. (I, too, had a wild older sister, so I could relate to the brother.) She's only gotten better since, especially on TV's Westworld. Another actress seemingly destined to win an Oscar or an Emmy. 

Favorite TV Shows and Movies: American Gothic, Digging to China, Practical Magic, Profiler, Little Secrets, Once & Again, S1m0ne, Thirteen, The Missing, Pretty Persuasion, The Upside of Anger, Down in the Valley, Running with Scissors, King of California, The Life Before Her Eyes, Across the Universe, The Wrestler, Whatever Works, The Conspirator, Mildred Pierce, True Blood, The Ides of March, Charlie Countryman, A Case of You, Barefoot, Strange Magic, Doll & Em, Into the Forest, Allure and TV's Westworld. 







Juno Temple

Juno was practically destined for coolness, given that her dad was Julien, who palled around with the likes of The Sex Pistols, The Clash and David Bowie, directing movies and videos with both. Her offbeat taste in projects certainly make her a chip off the old block, that's for sure. She's like a pixie in the more traditional sense: cute, but mischievous, and likely to cause trouble. She's kind of awesome, in other words.

Favorite TV Shows and Movies: Notes on a Scandal, Atonement, St. Trinian's 1 & 2, The Other Boleyn Girl, Wild Child, Year One, Mr. Nobody, Cracks, Greenberg, Kaboom, Dirty Girl, Little Birds, The Three Musketeers, Killer Joe, Small Apartments, Jack & Diane, The Dark Knight Rises, The Brass Teapot, Afternoon Delight, Magic Magic, Lovelace, Horns, Maleficent, Sin City: A Dame to Kill For, Far from the Madding Crowd, Safelight, Len & Company, Black Mass, Vinyl, Away, The Most Hated Woman in America, One Percent More Humid, Wonder Wheel (actually terrible, but Temple's good in it), Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams: Autofac and Unsane.







Jennifer Lawrence

She's already Hall of Fame material for me, even this early on. I know she's firmly in the backlash portion of her career, but I actually like it when actresses who are well-established and successful start to take more risks, and she's definitely been doing that as of late.

Favorite Movies: The Poker House, The Burning Plain, Winter's Bone, Like Crazy, Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Joy, Passengers, Mother! and Red Sparrow. And, of course, The Hunger Games and X-Men movies. 












Shailene Woodley

Another relative newcomer, she first caught my eye in the guilty-pleasure teen-com-dram The Secret Life of the American Teenager (though I also watched The O.C.- but she was pretty young back then, so I didn't really notice her) before hitting the big time on the big screen. She's been a fave ever since, as committed to activism as acting- a great quality.

Favorite Movies and TV Shows: The Secret Life of the American Teenager, The Descendants, The Spectacular Now, White Bird in a Blizzard, The Fault in Our Stars, Snowden, Big Little Lies and, of course, the Divergent trilogy. 





Alison Brie 

I love Ali. She's so versatile- she was doing Community and Mad Men at the same time, after all- now THAT'S range. And yeah, she's pretty easy on the eyes too. GLOW took her career to the next level- the sky's the limit from here on out.

Favorite Movies/TV: Born, Parasomnia, Scream 4, Save the Date, The Five-Year Engagement, The Kings of the Summer, The Lego Movie (Unikitty makes me laugh every time), Search Party, Sleeping with Other People, Get Hard, No Stranger than Love, How to be Single, Doctor Thorne (TV miniseries), Get a Job, A Family Man, The Little Hours, The Disaster Artist and, of course, Mad Men, Community and GLOW.    






Anna Kendrick

You've probably figured out I like women with a sense of humor. Anna fits this to a "T." Her book was a smart, funny read, and her tweets are often LOL funny. Not a lot of actresses qualify as witty, but she fits the bill. And yeah, she happens to be cute as a button.

Favorite Movies: Camp, Rocket Science, Elsewhere, Up in the Air, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, 50/50, ParaNorman, The Company You Keep, End of Watch, Drinking Buddies, The Voices, Life After Beth, Happy Xmas, Cake, Mr, Right, The Hollars, Get a Job, Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates, Trolls, The Accountant, Table 19 and, of course, the Pitch Perfect movies. (I'd say Twilight, but I'm not a big fan, and she's barely in them, so... yeah.)






Aubrey Plaza

Speaking of funny ladies, again, Aubrey is wonderfully caustic, snarky and just plain wonderful. I'd watch her in anything, and have.

Favorite movies and TV shows: Funny People, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, Damsels in Distress, 10 Years, Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You, Safety Not Guaranteed, Charlie Countryman, The To Do List, Life After Beth, Ned Rifle, Playing it Cool, About Alex, Grumpy Cat's Worst Xmas Ever, Addicted to Fresno, The Driftless Area, Welcome to Sweden, Dirty Grandpa, Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates, The Little Hours, Ingrid Goes West, and, of course, Parks & Rec and Legion. 






ChloΓ« Grace Moretz

The youngest name on this list is also one of the most talented, and has been so at an alarmingly early age. And yet, unlike many of her contemporaries, she doesn't seem to have gone batshit crazy once she hit 18- see Bella Thorne, Miley Cyrus, and most every Disney girl to hit it big at an early age, actually, going back to the Britney/Xtina days. 
ChloΓ« just keeps hitting it out of the park. And she's a burgeoning Scream Queen to boot, so there's that.

Favorite Movies and TV shows: The Amityville Horror, Room 6, Wicked Little Things, Hallowed Ground, The Third Nail, The Eye, The Poker House, Dirty Sexy Money, Not Forgotten, 500 Days of Summer, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Let Me In, Texas Killing Fields, Hugo, Hick, Dark Shadows, 30 Rock, Carrie, Laggies, Clouds of Sils Maria, If I Stay, The Equalizer, Dark Places, The Fifth Wave, Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising, Brain on Fire and, of course, the Kick-Ass movies. 







Dakota Fanning

Another actress that's been knocking out of the park from an early age, and who's managed to navigate the transition from child actress to adult with ease, Dakota keeps you guessing, choices-wise, and I dig that. Preternaturally talented from an early age, she just keeps getting better with age.

Favorite Movies: I Am Sam, Trapped, Sweet Home Alabama (gotta represent), Hansel & Gretel, Taken (TV miniseries), Uptown Girls, Man on Fire, Nine Lives, Hide & Seek, War of the Worlds, Dreamer, Charlotte's Web, Fragments, The Secret Life of Bees, Push, Coraline, The Runaways, Now is Good, The Motel Life, Very Good Girls, Night Moves, Every Secret Thing, Effie Gray, The Benefactor, Brimstone, American Pastoral, Please Stand By, Viena and the Fantomes, The Alienist (TV miniseries). 






Emily Browning

Emily first got my attention in the movie adaptation of the popular Y/A series A Series of Unfortunate Events. She's only gotten better and more adventurous since, taking one risk after another, movie-wise, even when it doesn't always result in box office success. Cult movie/show-wise, though, she's knocking it out of the park.

Favorite Movies and TV Shows: Ghost Ship, Darkness Falls, Ned Kelly, A Series of Unfortunate Events, Stranded, The Uninvited, Sucker Punch, Sleeping Beauty, Magic Magic, Plush, God Help the Girl, Legend, American Gods. 






Emma Roberts
Emma gets an bad rap because certain people thinks she's just playing herself, which doesn't make a lot of sense if you know her resume as thoroughly as I do. If anything, her "nice" roles far outweigh her "bitchy" ones. All that says to me is that she's so convincing in every role she plays, people confuse her given persona in a role with who she is IRL. (OK, granted, that domestic violence thing with her BF didn't help matters.) Whatever the case, YOU try memorizing all that crazy Ryan Murphy dialogue and see how you fare. That's what I thought. Get a clue, Nancy Drew: case closed.

Favorite TV Shows and Movies: Blow, Unfabulous, Aquamarine, Nancy Drew, Wild Child, Lymelife, Hotel for Dogs, The Winning Season, Twelve, Valentine's Day, Memoirs of an Teenage Amnesiac, 4.3.2.1., Virginia, It's Kind of a Funny Story, The Art of Getting By, Scream 4, Celeste & Jesse Forever, Empire State, We're the Millers, Palo Alto, Adult World, Delirium, I Am Michael, Ashby, The Blackcoat's Daughter, Nerve, In a Relationship, and, of course, American Horror Story and Scream Queens. (Chanel Oberlin is my bitch spirit animal, lol.) 






Hailee Steinfeld

Only 13 when she landed her first Oscar nomination, it was clear that Hailee was destined for great things. Who knew one of them was to become a multi-platinum recording artist? Go figure. Regardless, her acting skills have only gotten stronger over the years, and her choices in material is overall pretty solid, despite the occasional misfire. What's more important is her willingness to take chances, which should help her go far. 

Favorite Movies: True Grit, Hateship Loveship, Begin Again, Romeo & Juliet, Ender's Game, 3 Days to Kill, The Homesman, The Keeping Room, 10,000 Saints, Pitch Perfect 2 & 3, Unity, Barely Lethal, Term Life, The Edge of Seventeen and I'm greatly looking forward to her turn as Emily Dickinson in Dickinson.






 
Saoirse Ronan
Last but definitely not least, there's Saoirse, who's talent is boundless- enough so that people will one day finally be able to pronounce that name of hers. As with Hailee, she started garnering awards love early: she was only thirteen when she was nominated for an Oscar- she's been nominated twice more since. The third time may not have been the charm, but give it time- she'll get there. For my money, the best actress around her age out there, bar none. And that accent slays me. 😍

Favorite TV Shows and Movies: I Could Never Be Your Woman, Atonement, Death Defying Acts, City of Ember, The Lovely Bones, The Secret World of Arrietty, The Way Back, Hanna, Violet & Daisy, Byzantium, The Host, How I Live Now, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Lost River, Brooklyn, Stockholm, Pennsylvania, Loving Vincent, Lady Bird, plus she was fantastic on SNL and adorable in that Ed Sheeran vid, "Galway Girl." Bonus points for making him get a misspelled tattoo, lol. 








Well, that about does it for now. In my next "getting to know me" list, I'll take a look at my fave up-and-coming actresses. Look for that asap! πŸ˜ƒ

No comments:

Post a Comment